Poem Forest Terms and Conditions
POEM FOREST is a free nature prize that literally breathes life back into the world that sustains us.
Created by Red Room Poetry, in partnership with The Australian Botanic Garden, POEM FOREST deepens our connection with nature by inviting students and communities to create and publish poems inspired by the natural environment. For every poem received a native tree will be planted in The Australian Botanic Garden, Mount Annan to help heal habitats and create a POEM FOREST for future generations. Our goal is to plant 15,000 trees in 3 years.
- POEM FOREST prize opens Sunday 21 March 2021
- Submissions close 5pm Friday 17 September 2021
- Shortlist and poems published in October 2021
- Winners announced November 2021
- POEM FOREST trees planted at The Australian Botanic Garden throughout 2021 and 2022 delivered with the Greening our City Premier’s priority, funded by the Climate Change Fund.
You must be an Australian student or young person (aged 18 and under), an accredited teacher or a parent/guardian to enter the competition.
Terms and Conditions
- POEM FOREST awards prizes to young people (aged 18 and under) and accredited teachers, across Australia. All types of mainstream schooling systems are eligible, as well as home schools, GAT programs, special needs groups, alternative education and individual young writers.
- Poem submissions can be made by students and teachers via this online form. Entries must include either a teacher’s or guardian’s name/email address. Entries sent by email will not be accepted.
- Poems must be no more than 20 lines and identifiably linked to the theme of nature.
- Please submit only one poem. Multiple entries are not permitted.
- Poems must be the writer’s original work. Poems submitted must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright. Poems deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Copyright of the poem remains with the poet.
- All POEM FOREST submissions will be read by our team after the closing date. By submitting, you give Red Room Poetry and its partners permission to publish your poem and quote excerpts on digital platforms and in our external communications. (Surnames of people under 18 will not be published).
- Entries are judged anonymously. Judging decisions are final. Due to the volume of submissions, individual feedback cannot be provided.
- Submissions close 5pm Friday 17 September 2021 (AEST).
- Shortlist announced October 2021 (AEST).
- Winners announced November 2021 (AEST).
- Prize details and judging information can be found here.
Privacy and personal information
Phone: (+61 2) 9319 5090