With support from the Adès Foundation, the Emerging Poets Residency encourages the creative trajectory of emerging Australian poets.
Open to emerging poets (having published one full length collection or less) the Residency will provide a creative space and paid stipend to support the professional development of two emerging poets annually. The residency will be hosted on Yuin country (Bermagui) for an intensive period of creative development.
Following a national call-out process, the residents will be selected by a panel of Red Room industry experts including Dr Tamryn Bennett. At least one of the two places is reserved for an emerging First Nations poet.
Applications for the 2023 residencies have now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied, and best of luck with your application!
- $1,000 poetic stipend
- A one-week residency at Moonrise on the River
- Travel assistance up to $1,000
- Opportunity to publish poetic outcomes via Red Room Poetry channels
- Opportunity to undertake a community engagement activity locally
- Tuesday 9 August - Applications open as part of Poetry Month
- Tuesday 13 September, 5pm AEST - Applications close
- End of October
- Before July 2023 - Residency period, to be negotiated with the successful applicants
- Show potential for this grant to benefit your creative development. Why is now a good time to be undertaking this residency?
- Provide a proposal detailing what you intend to work on as part of the residency.
- Availability to attend a one-week residency at Moonrise on the River in Bermagui between May-July 2023
- At least one of the two places is reserved for an emerging First Nations poet.
About Moonrise on the River
Nestled in a spotted gum and burrawang forest (6 acres with river frontage to the tidal Bermagui River) and roughly 10 minutes out of town and beaches (3.5 km on an unsealed road), Moonrise on the River caters for people looking for a private bush retreat who enjoy waking to glorious sunrises, the dawn chorus of birdsong, sunsets, moonrises, the waves breaking from the surrounding beaches, bird watching, kayaking, bushwalking and more.
Moonrise is a single level home, with no stairs inside the home. There is a step onto the ramp leading to the front door, and parking on site. The property is a bush block, and the pathways down to the river are not paved. You can view more photos of the space here, and please don't hesitate to reach out to us via firstname.lastname@example.org or on (02) 9319 5090 to ask for more information and to discuss your access needs.
Successful applicants will need to arrange their own travel to Bermagui, and in and around the town and surrounds once there. More information about how to get to Bermagui can be found here. The property is a 10 minute drive from the centre of town, about 6km and there is parking on site.
Terms and Conditions
Please ensure you read the full Terms and Conditions before you apply.
Partners and Supporters
Adès Family Foundation